I’ve heard this saying so many times, and it always gets caught in my throat.
Maybe it’s because I served. Maybe it’s because I watched the towers fall on 9/11. Maybe it’s because I see my country going astray from where I always thought it was going. I think it’s mostly because of those who have given all they had.
I look around the room as I write this, and see my children playing. I’m warm on this rainy November day. I have the means to provide for my family. My wife and I have a good, but challenging life. We’ve been able to overcome what’s been put in our path thus far. We are grateful. Not all have as much, not all have so little.
I have a group of friends I can honestly say do not share all of my views, but for the most part, they are honest and good, as I believe people mostly are. They want what I want, to get through this life as comfortably and happily as possible. I’ve seen them struggle and succeed as I have. Some a little more, some a little less.
I don’t know if we, as people, think about how well we have it, compared to others, and why. I did not join the Air Force to defend freedom. I assumed we’d always have it. I did not join, because we were attacked. I assumed we never would be. I joined because I felt a need to belong, to serve, and to get some experiences outside of my world, which seemed ever so small. Plus the uniforms were so cool!
We are the best. We can make it, even with the tired, the poor, and the huddled masses, because we have the freedom to do so. We have it because some gave all. They served, they died, and more followed behind them. Like ants from a destroyed anthill, the keep coming, because we have something worth fighting for.
I know some hate war, hate death, and hate politics. You can hate these things because of what countless others have given. All. Ask the Iraqi what they hate, and they will whisper or hide in fear of retaliation. Ask the the concentration camp survivor, what they hate, and see them look over their shoulder before answering. We are not afraid to answer. In fact we boldly proclaim it, because some gave all.
I, by the grace of God, did not have to give all. I only gave some. Others sit in darkened homes, darken lives, and wonder why the ones they loved had to give all. Why daddy, mommy, grandpa, brother, sister, son, and daughter, who had very little, had to give all. While others also gave some, and were able to come home, some did not, and were kept behind and locked away to fufill dark purposes by evil people who do not let their people have the freedom we enjoy. They are still giving.
As this Veteran’s Day approaches, and even there after. Please keep your thoughts on those who gave some, those who gave all, and those still giving whether by their choice or not. It’s not just a day off from school or work. They gave this gift to you, this freedom to read and write what you want, without an evil power descending upon you. The freedom to attend, or not attend your church. The freedom to speak your heart, without repercussion.
All gave some, Some gave all…. What would you give? What can you give? All I ask, is a moment of your day, to remember.
No comments:
Post a Comment