Thursday, February 24, 2011

Unions.... ba humbug

Believe me... I get it. Companies will try to keep as much
profit as they can, so unions were formed to protect workers. But now the
unions are corporations too. Joe Smoe worker is stuck with two bosses (Co. and
union) and buy into all the us vs. them because they're told almost daily how
this or that is trying to screw them.


The problem is, the unions don't let the workers live in the
"real world" where wages are determined by merit and performance, and
they have no incentive to perfect their craft. It sucks when the company
demands more, and the union tells you to slow, and you walk the fine line
everyday. If you give more today, they'll (company) want even more tomorrow. “The
union got you your wages and benefits,” so why should I even try to do the best
job, the right job, the perfect job? I get my paycheck whether I complete 2
jobs or 10.


You have to toe the line or the other union members will
harrass you (unless you get really thick skin.) Could you work when your
dealing with High School bully mentality? No tolerance in schools, but it's in
union shops every day. Then the union has to spend 95% of its resources
protecting the worst 5% of actors who “should” be fired, but are entitled merely
because they are members. The person who keeps their head down, wears the shirt
on the right day, and goes home at night to their families sees no benefit, nor
gets the recognition. Instead the bad actors, get louder, and more militant as
they head deeper into trouble and the union tries harder to defend them.


Some of the worse arbitrations and grievance meetings I attended
were just pissing matches between bad union members and anal supervision. Both
side comparing who has the biggest ego. (I really editted myself here).
Supervision says you don’t challenge my authority! The union says you don’t
want to piss us off! Meanwhile, nothing gets done and four to five people are wasting
money, time, and effort. In my life, I said “to hell with this” and rode out my
time until the company fired me (as a supervisor). It is a very liberating
feeling knowing you’ll eventually be fired and deciding you can be the
supervisor you want to be, settle disputes with the members, there, on the
spot, without having to have a grievance. Talking to the person, one on one,
and seeing what motivates them, seeing them thrive.


I still had a few bad actors, and they would have their
union job well after I get fired, and they can have it. Let them live in their
poison. Let them struggle with the bullies, become bullies, or simply let it
crush their individuality. I miss the paycheck, but not the 60+ hours for the
40 hour paycheck or the stress of the day dealing with “us” vs. “them.”  The “make an example out of them” mentallity
of ill-trained supervisors.


I was eventually fired, as I knew I would be. I read many
books, wrote many papers, earned my MBA, and found out there are other
companies who do not succumb to this daily battle. I worked for myself, and have
had fair dealings with those I contract for and with. When and if I ever enter
corporate USA again, I will scrutinize WHO I work for more, than the PAYCHECK
of where I work. I doubt unions will go away, because corporate greed will
never go away. As far as I’m concerned, the unions and companies are the same
save for the fact that one thrives on the backs of their employees, the other
on the blood of their members.  

No comments:

Post a Comment