Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I don't blame you for you're parents, so get the hell off my case!

I've been lucky enough to get to see a bunch of movie screenings, and there is a new movie out called "The Help." The gist of the movie is that bad white racist people treated black women (Yes I said black) with little to no respect even though they were cleaning their homes and taking care of their children. Being "progressive" back them was building a bathroom out back so that your maid had a place to go.

I'm actually getting kinda tired of being preached to. Maybe it's because I grew up with "busing" where white kids and black kids (Did he just say black again?) were driving hours away from their local neighborhood to go to school in the other district. Kinda how people put puppies in a room to see if they're going to get along.

Just because I joined the military and was exposed to many other races and religions, I guess I somehow missed the point that all of these movies are trying to tell me. Racism was blatant and bad, and apparently really old white people's fault and only rare good white people can save the day. Seriously? I'm suppose to walk out of the movies feeling better or worse?

Racism is much more complicated than that. The life you lead now, is what you're responsible for. If you're a racist, you're not going to see this movie are you? Hollywood should get back to entertaining instead of preaching. How are we suppose to move forward, when they keep showing these old examples (which no one now a day can relate to) of how bad it was. Don't you get tired of that kindly old man who keeps telling you about when bread was a nickle? You don't hate the man, you just wish he had new stories.

I've seen examples of "affirmative action" work... and fall flat on it's face. It needs an upgrade if it's to stay in work. Racism isn't just bad white people treating innocent scared black people badly. Look around. It's Hispanic, Asian, Arabic, Indian (both kinds), Jewish, etc. Each group has it's issues with each other race, religion, ethnicity, language, and geological location. (Like Cleveland...shiver) but that's my cross to bare. Someday I'll evolve past my hatred of Ohio cities who think they have a football team, and no, college doesn't count.

This isn't just some "white guy" bitching, according to my mom, I'm part Cherokee Indian... so now you have to take it seriously because my ancestors have been screwed over too. Sure, some had to sit in the back of the bus, other were dumped off into oceans, given small pox blankets, ran off of cliffs, burned in ovens, and other crimes too numerous to count. Don't you think things like that should unite us? Not be used to decide who suffered more?

No comments:

Post a Comment